Didn’t want to throw you guys off with something too fancy – so here’s a dinner that’s got a few steps, but can easily be made ahead of time. This would be a great supper for someone who is sick, just had a baby, etc. It can be made and stuck in the freezer, then just baked a bit longer to compensate! I like to think of this as a healthier take on a similar Velveeta casserole I’m sure we’ve all had at some point in our lives 😉 And the little bit of cayenne gives it just a hint of a kick. I highly recommend trying this if you’re looking for a new way to use quinoa!
- 1 cup quinoa (doesn’t matter what kind; I’ve made it with red, white, and tricolor with equally good results)
- 1 head broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/4 tsp dry mustard
- 1/4 garlic powder
- 2 cups milk
- 8 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- Cook quinoa according to package directions. In the meantime, steam broccoli just a few minutes so that it is still a little crisp but mostly tender. Put quinoa and broccoli in a large bowl with your chicken and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (or don’t, if you’re making in advance). Next, we’ll make our cheese sauce. Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour, onion, and spices and continue whisking until light golden, or a couple of minutes.
- Now slowly whisk in the milk, allowing it to simmer until it bubbles and thickens (about 5 minutes, give or take).
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Pour your cheesy goodness over your quinoa, broccoli, and chicken and stir together until well mixed.
- Finally, spread the mixture into a greased or foil-lined 9×13 casserole dish. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until cheese is bubbling. Serve up a scoop and chow down 😋
Recipe slightly adapted from Annie’s Eats