You know that one thing you make that’s always a hit and everyone asks for when there’s a pitch-in? These are that thing. My work crew absolutely loves these brownies, and with good reason. The brownie recipe itself is fairly basic, but a layer of caramel filling really sets them apart. Slice ’em up small because they’re pretty rich, but I can guarantee just one won’t be enough! 😉
For the brownies:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 12 oz. bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1½ cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
For the caramel filling:
- 14 oz. caramel candies, unwrapped
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a 9×13-inch baking pan with foil and grease the foil well with butter or cooking spray. Combine the butter and chocolate in a small bowl.
- Microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring each time, until smooth and glossy.
- Whisk in the sugar, eggs and vanilla.
- Stir in the flour and salt just until combined.
- Spread about half of the brownie batter in the bottom of the pan in an even layer.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven, keeping the oven set for the same temperature, and let cool for 20 minutes.
- Just before your bottom layer is finished cooling, make your caramel filling. Combine the candies and cream in another small bowl.
- Heat, stirring frequently, until melted and smooth.
- Immediately spread the caramel mixture over the bottom brownie layer.
- Spread the rest of the brownie batter over the top of the caramel layer. This can be a bit difficult, and you may end up swirling the caramel and batter in some spots. However, I’ve never had a complaint so I refuse to change my technique. 🙂 Ha!
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top. Bake for 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely before slicing and serving… and I mean COMPLETELY, or you will be fighting a losing battle with some ooey, gooey goodness.
- Lift the brownies from the pan using the edges of the foil. Remove the foil and cut the brownies into individual squares. Store in an airtight container.
*I have no photos of the sliced brownies because they were packed up and eaten THAT quickly. They’re that good!
Recipe slightly adapted from Annie’s Eats